CoSign: Collaborative Single Sign-On
AnnouncementsDiscussion

cosign-discuss at umich.edu

COSIGN: service name policies?

What sort of policies are other cosign schools using for service names? So far here at Michigan we've been pretty relaxed about what users should choose as a service name, but in calculating stats the last few days I think this might need to change.

For example, we currently have things like:

	cosign-iis
	cosign-develop
	cosign-10
	cosign-intranet1
	cosign-logo
	cosign-service
	cosign-foo

none of which, frankly, are all that helpful if we need to debug a problem or even if we just want to generate statistics. I'm thinking of something like "service name should be your domain name minus the 'umich.edu'" so:

	cosign-mail
	cosign-intranet.soe
	cosign-importantlab.physics.lsa
	cosign-www

would all be easy to map to services -- and are guaranteed to be unique.

Other approaches?

kevin