CoSign: Collaborative Single Sign-On
AnnouncementsDiscussion

cosign-discuss at umich.edu

Re: COSIGN: service name policies?

With a few notable exceptions (such as MIRLYN), our services don't typically fall into the category of large, monolithic applications which dominate one server. We will have numerous services redundantly hosted on multiple servers, and I had invisioned using generic service names which will likely have meaning to us but no meaning to you.

That said, we have lib.umich and umdl.umich, and consistently using a lib prefix on our services names would be fine with me.

kevin mcgowan wrote:
What sort of policies are other cosign schools using for service names? So far here at Michigan we've been pretty relaxed about what users should choose as a service name, but in calculating stats the last few days I think this might need to change.

For example, we currently have things like:

    cosign-iis
    cosign-develop
    cosign-10
    cosign-intranet1
    cosign-logo
    cosign-service
    cosign-foo

none of which, frankly, are all that helpful if we need to debug a problem or even if we just want to generate statistics. I'm thinking of something like "service name should be your domain name minus the 'umich.edu'" so:

    cosign-mail
    cosign-intranet.soe
    cosign-importantlab.physics.lsa
    cosign-www

would all be easy to map to services -- and are guaranteed to be unique.

Other approaches?

kevin